HOW TO STOP UNKNOWN UPDATE

Hoppeeee

Edited 31 December 2021 - 2:21 pm by Hoppeeee
Freddy, thanks again for the workaround -- your solution worked!! (See posts on previous page). Now I can play games through Voobly again yay!!!
I'm sure all this is more of a turn off to them than to me next thing users will abandon Voobly. I'm certain a good programmer can make those screens not hung as of the case of any clients out there.

Also, this comment, 100% -- I started playing through the Steam multiplayer lobby instead of Voobly because it was so frustrating not being able to join most rooms or get the right combination of mods without Voobly's auto-install feature working correctly. My preference is to play games on Voobly, since I've played here for years -- but if I constantly experience issues like this, I will not hesitate to switch to another platform.

When the mods weren't installing and I tried to click the tech support button, the links on the interface didn't even take me to the right place to get tech support help (see screenshot below). Of course that could be fixed.

Attachments:
Tech Support Hyperlink Broken.PNG (file size: 82.57 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 Nohocks

Edited 31 December 2021 - 4:21 pm by Nohocks
I also played for 5-6 years without any changes or problems.
About 3-4 months ago I also got the update upon joining main lobby every single time (even if I let it install complete).

Diagnostics says everything is fine.

I don't want to sound too negative, since Voobly has been amazing for a long time, but just saying "there's something wrong with most of you're guys game installation - make a clean install!" is ridicilous.

Imagine having a small windows update issue, and Microsoft response would always be "format computer and make clean install" when there is a clean issue in the code, or lack of diagnostics/fix functions.

Last time I tried making a clean install of voobly following the guide, it took 3 weeks and a nightmare of hunting for information/testing in order to finally make it work.

Would appreciate a coding fix for this, or at least some kind of effort from coders trying to figure out what have caused this for many, many users.
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Posted 31 December 2021 - 5:53 pm
Hoppeeee wrote:
Freddy, thanks again for the workaround -- your solution worked!! (See posts on previous page). Now I can play games through Voobly again yay!!!

np! I knew for a fact it will work for you as it did for me and others.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 31 December 2021 - 6:40 pm
HOLY CRAP WINDSCRIBE WORKS!

So it had nothing to do with the registry. Nothing to do with locating the right folder. It was some kind of networking protocol issue? The error message "Could not find game installation directory" was VERY misleading. Logging and error messages should really be improved. Chris and I were looking in the complete wrong direction.

Windscribe is very slow to download but it works. Make sure to disable windscribe once you are done downloading and restart voobly.
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Posted 31 December 2021 - 7:17 pm
For sure Voobly is using an old fashioned api to download their files probably dates back to 2000 the era of noodle code and newbie programmers. No offence either but I am amazed how lazy who ever the programmers of Voobly are. Just please care 1% about user experience as you're giving us more reasons to abandon the client.

Let's be sincere Voobly is a great project, client and all but too much laziness will kill it slowly. Lately I installed voobly to try it out after a long break then to my surprise I was welcomed with 8 download screens freezing everything for minutes besides my game installation went from 800 MB to 4 GB.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 31 December 2021 - 8:37 pm
It only does all those downloads the first time.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 31 December 2021 - 9:45 pm
No offence either but I am amazed how lazy who ever the programmers of Voobly are.
Guess what, we do this in our free time for more than 13 years already and we make no money of it. This is a free service and community project.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 31 December 2021 - 9:47 pm
Let's be sincere Voobly is a great project, client and all but too much laziness will kill it slowly. Lately I installed voobly to try it out after a long break then to my surprise I was welcomed with 8 download screens freezing everything for minutes besides my game installation went from 800 MB to 4 GB.
Then you had many other mods installed. We only push the new 1.6 patch and its game data which got 500 MB in total. The same will happen to you on Steam, if you have installed many mods through their workshop.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Hoppeeee

Edited 31 December 2021 - 10:49 pm by Hoppeeee
Oh, I didn't mean to start something. I just meant that whatever platform works best I will use. The Voobly team is awesome and I love that you have been doing this for 13 years as volunteers. I did not know that! That is actually really cool.
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Posted 31 December 2021 - 10:52 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
Guess what, we do this in our free time for more than 13 years already and we make no money of it. This is a free service and community project.

Then let us help you make Voobly better. Create an announcement inquiring for volunteers surely many of us are willing to give a hand.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 31 December 2021 - 11:33 pm
Then let us help you make Voobly better. Create an announcement inquiring for volunteers surely many of us are willing to give a hand.

There even exists a dedicated web site that explains how our voluntary program works.
[You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Posted 1 January 2022 - 3:14 am
I do not see any Voobly development committee.
Quote:
(From memberplus website)
    - Game Specific Committee — Dedicated to fielding game-specific user questions.
    - Technical Support Committee — Dedicated to assisting users in the Help Room and technical “problem solving” on Voobly.
    - Tournament Committee — Dedicated to help users create and monitor user-created tournaments.

Maybe if you add and recruit development committee members, voobly client gets better "user experience wise" then less tech support members are needed
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 1 January 2022 - 11:49 am
Yeah but you surely understand, that we must know our volunteers for some time, before we allow them access our source code.
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Posted 1 January 2022 - 1:45 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
Yeah but you surely understand, that we must know our volunteers for some time, before we allow them access our source code.
Initially You don't have to grant them direct access to source code or data base. Just Api post get request.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 7 January 2022 - 10:53 pm
So @chris@voobly - did you understand what the problem is? Do you have a hint? Why I have to go through a vpn and can't just use windows as is? Do you have a guess as to the problem?

I mean I'm all set. I just turn the vpn on - reconnect to voobly - download the upgrades - then turn off the vpn - reconnect to voobly and all is good. It's annoying but it doesn't take long. But other people don't know this.

At the very minimum the error message should suggest trying a VPN and the error message should say something about how the error might be unrelated to finding the right directory.

Link | Reply | Quote
1234[5]6
Displaying 61 - 75 out of 78 posts