HOW TO STOP UNKNOWN UPDATE

Posted 15 August 2021 - 7:56 pm
I keep getting this "downloading unknown update" window soon after i launch voobly. Its annoying to click cancel every time i open the app. thing is even if you let it download it takes forever to finish.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 15 August 2021 - 8:06 pm
It automatically downloads the latest patch and applies it to your installation when you enter the lobby. If we disable that, the download would start when you enter a game room, and this would prevent the host from launching the game.
Link | Reply | Quote

Posted 15 August 2021 - 8:08 pm
i have the 1.6 patch already but it keeps coming
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 15 August 2021 - 8:11 pm
Yeah, because the patch requires the 1.6 game data. A couple of years ago, you had to install the compatibility patch, Wololo Kingdoms and depending on your game version a few more things manually and in the correct order, else the game was broken. Nowadays it's an automatic process and everything is done by the Voobly client.
Link | Reply | Quote

Posted 15 August 2021 - 8:17 pm
so in short i need to download the game data and it goes off?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 15 August 2021 - 8:21 pm
That's correct.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Count_Drugula

Posted 16 August 2021 - 6:09 pm
same problem but in mi case it frezee at 29% and if i cancel the update, it can't run any game or join any room nor hast any game help
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 17 August 2021 - 8:24 am by +chris@voobly
same problem but in mi case it frezee at 29% and if i cancel the update, it can't run any game or join any room nor hast any game help
Delete the sub folders in the following directories:

AoE II HD:
c:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD\Voobly Mods\AOC\Data Mods\
c:\program files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD\Voobly Mods\AOC\Patches\

AOC:
c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Voobly Mods\AOC\Data Mods\
c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Voobly Mods\AOC\Patches\
Link | Reply | Quote
 RoR_Angelina

Posted 27 August 2021 - 6:15 pm
I have both the 1.6 patch and the 1.6 game data installed and they work for me, still the update pops up and fails immediately, and an error pops up says Lost connection to the server but when i cancel it everything works fine.
Attachments:
image_2021-08-27_171151.png (file size: 553.53 KB)
image_2021-08-27_171310.png (file size: 554.58 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 28 August 2021 - 9:55 pm
I have both the 1.6 patch and the 1.6 game data installed and they work for me, still the update pops up and fails immediately, and an error pops up says Lost connection to the server but when i cancel it everything works fine.
Please run game diagnostics and paste the results here. In most cases, a clean game installation resolves the issue.

AOK/AOC: [You must login to view link]
AoE II HD: [You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 4 November 2021 - 2:43 pm
So I have been able to install the 1.6RC patch and mod manually but some patches (like autofarmQ) don't have a manual method. I consistently get the same error when trying to install a patch the normal way (the automatic way):
Quote:
Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and run game diagnostics

The directory is completely normal as far as I can tell e.g. 1.6 patches go here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Voobly Mods\AOC\Patches\v1.6 RC

Game diagnostics says everything is fine. I tried making the entire folder tree read/write/full by anyone but that made no difference. By the way these patches worked fine for years and stopped working a few months ago.

game diagnostics:
Quote:
Non-DirectPlay game path is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II'
Verifying 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\language_x1.dll' exists...
Success!
Verifying 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\age2_x1.exe' exists...
Success!
Voobly path is 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly'
Game version is '1.0C'
Verifying 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\language_x1_p1.dll' exists...
Success!
Checking DirectPlay libraries...
Looking for dpwsockx.dll...
Looking for dplayx.dll...
'c:\windows\system32\dplayx.dll' size: 215552 bytes
DirectPlay Init Success!
Scanning installed DirectPlay games...
Age of Empires II
Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion [found]
Game was found in DirectPlay registry!
DirectPlay play thinks the game is installed at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II'
DirectPlay command line is 'Lobby'
DirectPlay play thinks the game exe is at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Age2_X1\age2_x1.exe'
Verifying file exists... Success!
DirectPlay play thinks the language dll is at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\language_x1.dll'
Verifying file exists... Success!
Scanning 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly\gamedata\AOC\age2_x1.exe'
Success!

Everything looks fine. DirectPlay is configured and the game was found on your harddrive. If you still have problems try rejoining the lobby or restarting your computer.

Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 4 November 2021 - 3:24 pm
I also tried moving all the subdirectories of Patches and Data Mods. No help. Now I have 3 things that want to download when I launch voobly instead of just one. Fortunately I had moved the contents (not deleted) so I could just move them back.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 8 November 2021 - 4:47 am
@chris@voobly?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 13 November 2021 - 12:21 pm by +chris@voobly
If you are still getting this error:
Quote:
Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and run game diagnostics

Then something is wrong with your game installation. Please follow:

AOK/AOC: [You must login to view link]
AoE II HD: [You must login to view link]

Please make sure you have the setup files, it is not enough to create the game binary at the correct folders.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 16 December 2021 - 2:44 am
@chris@voobly I finally tried what you said but no luck. Is there some log file somewhere that says which stupid "installation" directory it can't find?

Here's what I did.

Ran uninstaller for voobly. Uninstaller for aoc. Completely deleted the "microsoft games" folder and everything in it.

Reinstalled AOE from CD. Reinstalled AOC. Did the "no cd" patch. Did the aok and aoc patches that voobly said to do (brings aoc to 1.0c).

Launched aoc to make sure it works. Exited

Went to voobly and installed that. Launched voobly. It updated to newer version of voobly and restarted. Then it tries to install mods and patches and I get the same error:
Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and run game diagnostics.
Every folder is found. Everything is a success. At the end it says the usual "everything looks fine".

Now what????? This used to work up until maybe 6 months ago. voobly just downloaded and installed patches automatically. Easy. No longer. :(

For now I will reinstall the V1.6 mod and patch manually but many other mods and patches have no other way to install!

I may have messed up the protection levels of the c:\program files (x86)\ folder. I tried to lower the permissions there I believe a while back.

IS THERE SOME LOG FILE TO FIND OUT WHAT FOLDER IT IS THE "Installation" directory? Maybe it's trying to install onto some other drive or something? Some weird network drive maybe?

Can I look at the code? Is this on github? (I'll go look for it now).

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]23456
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 78 posts